This week, we’ll be heading to San Diego—my wife, Tara Laskowski, and our son, Dash—for this year’s Bouchercon, and what a schedule the three of us are finding ourselves navigating!
We’re arriving late Wednesday (even later in our minds, given the time difference), and then I’m up early early the next morning for both author speed dating (be there at 6:30 a.m.!) and then a conversation with Toastmaster Naomi Hirahara before meeting some friends for lunch and then Tara’s darting off to her panel and we’ve been invited for ice cream (eye on Dash there) as soon as her panel’s done—and is that opening ceremonies coming up quickly afterwards? Oh—and another quick gathering I got invited to stop by before the opening festivities. (I need to keep my calendar close.)
My official schedule is below—and I’m thrilled to be celebrating an Anthony Award nomination for the anthology Lawyers, Guns, and Money, which I co-edited with Libby Cudmore. Shout-out to all of the contributors who made the anthology such a success—and to Libby specifically, who also earned a Shamus Award nomination for her story, “Charley’s Medicine.”
Here’s my current schedule for the conference:
- Speed Dating—with partner Scott Blackburn • Thursday, August 31, 7 a.m., Pacific Ballroom 15, 16, & 17
- Interview with Toastmaster Naomi Hirahara • Thursday, August 31, 10:20 a.m., Marriott Grand Ballroom 5
- Opening Ceremonies • Thursday, August 31, 6 p.m., Marriott Grand Ballroom
- Anthony Award Panel, Best Anthology—with Greg Herren, Josh Pachter, and Mysti Berry, moderated by Holly West • Friday, September 1, 9 a.m. Marriott Grand Ballroom 6
- Short Stories: The Joys of Mysteries in Bite-Sized Form—with James A. Hearn, R.T. Lawton, Melinda Loomis, and Joseph S. Walker, moderated by Steve Steinbock • Friday, September 1, 1 p.m., Marriott Grand Ballroom 4
- Anthony Awards Presentation • Saturday, September 2, 9 p.m., Marriott Grand Ballroom
See you in San Diego!