Updated with Librarians’ Tea!
This week is Bouchercon, and I’m juggling various things to get ready for one of the biggest events in the crime fiction world—and one of my favorite events too.
I’m thrilled to be part of several official events—in great part thanks to my story “A Necessary Ingredient” being a finalist for both the Macavity Award (to be presented at the opening ceremonies) and the Anthony Award (to be presented on the last night of the program). All of the Anthony finalists are part of a panel on Friday afternoon, and just before that, I’ll be moderating a panel featuring two of Bouchercon’s guests of honor (!!)—a killer line-up of authors across the board (and an intimidating one, I should add).
That official schedule is below, but I’m also looking forward to many other events as well—the Bouchercon anthology signing on Thursday (I’ve recently been hosting First Two Pages essays by various contributors to that), the Sisters in Crime breakfast on Friday (my friend Sherry Harris stepping up as president!), the Guppies lunch mid-day Friday (at the Lisa Scottoline event), the Shamus Banquet that night (pulling for my buddy Paul D. Marks for best short story!), the Down & Out get-together after the banquet, and….. And well, after a Friday schedule like that, I’m not sure I can even think of what to do on Saturday, but…. oh, wait! MORE official events: the author speed dating breakfast bright and early Saturday morning (and I have to be awake for that, since Susanna Calkins and I are pairing up to represent all of the Anthony finalists for short story) and then the Librarians Tea Saturday afternoon. Whew!
And throughout the weekend, already have a lot of get-togethers loosely planned with friends, one of the chief pleasures of these reunions with my crime fiction family.
Anyway, here’s the official list of events—look forward to seeing folks throughout the weekend!
- Opening Ceremonies, including presentation of Macavity Awards • Thursday, September 6, 6 p.m.
- Panel, as moderator: “Fear Factor: Threatening Family in Thrillers,” with Jordan Harper, Michael Koryta, Karin Slaughter, Wendi Corsi Staub, and Lisa Unger • Friday, September 7, 10 a.m., Majestic
- Panel, as panelist: “Anthony Nominated Short Stories,” with Susanna Calkins, Jen Conley, Hilary Davidson, Barb Goffman, Debra Goldstein, and moderator Tara Laskowski • Friday, September 7, 1 p.m., Royal 1AB & 2AB
- Bouchercon Speed Dating Breakfast • Saturday, September 8, 8-9:30 a.m., Vinoy Grand
- Librarians’ Tea, as table host • Saturday, September 8, 1:15 p.m., Vinoy Grand
- Anthony Awards • Saturday, September 8, 7 p.m.