Just this morning, the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA) announced its 2009 Book Awards. The winners are:
- Best Fiction: Serena by Ron Rash (and check out the Raleigh News and Observer‘s review here and the Washington Post review here)
- Best Nonfiction: The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg (reviewed in the New York Times here and in the News and Observer here)
- Best Poetry: Dear Darkness by Kevin Young (which earned high marks from the San Francisco Chronicle; I was a big fan of his earlier collection, the noir-tinged Black Maria)
- Best Cookbook: Screen Doors and Sweet Tea by Martha Hall Foose
- Best Children’s: Two Bobbies by Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery
For full information and comments from booksellers throughout the South, check out the web site here. And a Happy Fourth to all!